teacher, teacher...

My reflections on what it means to me to be a teacher. My life in teaching: at school, in front of my classes and behind my desk.

Wednesday, April 28

Ready, Aim, Fire......

Our school is currently undergoing a triennial review of its charter. Good. Great even! I believe in the concept of improving the school. The Boss, however, confidently announced from his mountaintop, that he had set his targets for the next three years: We are to improve the study scores of our year 12 students - not all of them, just the top 10%. His target (no mean feat in itself considering he doesn’t teach) is that in English this year, 10 students will achieve a study score over 40. My problem is this: What about the other 102 students? Does anyone care what they get? I bet THEY do.
When I go to my class, MY target is for all 22 of my students to have a study score of 50! Unachievable? Of course. Aim lower? If I did, I’d be in the wrong career.

And I'm not.

More on friends...

One aspect of friendship, for women at least, is the notion of exclusivity. There is an unspoken understanding that every friendship is different, and the glue that keeps it that way is usually something shared exclusively with the other person. Sometimes it’s an understanding, a shared perspective, or a confession. Sometimes it’s history. Whatever it is, this ‘thing’ is subconsciously present in all your interrelations from that point on, and while other people come and go, this particular thing remains static, cement-like until the link is broken by one or other of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home