teacher, teacher...

My reflections on what it means to me to be a teacher. My life in teaching: at school, in front of my classes and behind my desk.

Wednesday, March 16

Modified Programs Take #2

Sorry, this is an old post from February that I forgot to publish (I don't manage so well when I draft and then leave it to 'cook' for a while!)

Had another meeting with Dr Know today (Feb 22). It was an informal meeting which resulted in a massive headache and negative headway. My colleagues and I were hoping that he would de-mystify the process of modifying individual programs in our classes to suit the needs of students with special needs and learning disabilities. All he managed to impart was that as a classroom teacher, I needed to assess the abilities of the student in question myself, and then tailor-make a program that will guarantee that student success in my subject.

For example, in French, while the other 25 students are busily learning the passé composé form of regular –er verbs (a core component of our course at this level), the student on the modified program (we’ll just call him A for now) will begin work on a cultural program about France and its history or whatever, on which apparently he will be able to work independently (without an aide, or me for the matter, since I am actually teaching the passé composé at the same time), and which I will find time to sit down and discuss with Dr Know before I find a bit more time to sit down and discuss it with ‘A’.

Does this sound confusing? Well, it certainly sounds time-consuming. I would question what 'A' would even gain by doing this other, non-related work, in a year 9 French course. Maybe we should just run some 'nameless' classes, where ALL work is individually tailored to suit the student, without worrying about following a core curriculum and such?

Anyway, what will A do next semester? There are only so many projects on France which will keep one amused! And what if I end up with four or five of these special needs students in the same class, or in my other (English) classes? Most of us barely have time to get our stuff together for our regular programs as it is. We’re going to be hard pressed to come up with twice as many (maybe more) programs in the same amount of time.

I don't have the answer. Do you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home