Bleeding and whingeing about it
It’s the mid-year school holidays – what a misnomer, unless of course ‘holidays’ just means working from home (although I don’t think that’s the popular meaning of it – well, certainly not popular with me!)
I am still sitting here in front of my computer, doing a little bit of work. I've been here since February actually.
One day, I hope to learn the secrets of ‘fast marking’. At present it takes me around 15-20 minutes to mark a typical English essay, a bit longer if I take the time to go and record comments in my assessment files as well as on the piece of work. Anyway, I have just completed marking 177 pieces of work (a mixture of examinations and SACs). That’s 44.25 hours of marking (calculated at 15 minutes per item). In addition to this, I have written 24 end of semester reports (around 250 words each) for my year 11 class. I challenge ANYBODY to accuse this teacher of having an easy existence. This I have done while also spending time with my two small sons (not much time I might add) who are on holidays from school also, and my partner (if you consider ‘sleeping’ the same as spending ‘time with’!) 'Well, it’s over,' you might breathe with a sigh of relief. 'Have a break.' I certainly will, after I’ve finished doing a little bit of planning, and preparation, and reading, and faculty coordination, and …..roll on Christmas.
It’s the mid-year school holidays – what a misnomer, unless of course ‘holidays’ just means working from home (although I don’t think that’s the popular meaning of it – well, certainly not popular with me!)
I am still sitting here in front of my computer, doing a little bit of work. I've been here since February actually.
One day, I hope to learn the secrets of ‘fast marking’. At present it takes me around 15-20 minutes to mark a typical English essay, a bit longer if I take the time to go and record comments in my assessment files as well as on the piece of work. Anyway, I have just completed marking 177 pieces of work (a mixture of examinations and SACs). That’s 44.25 hours of marking (calculated at 15 minutes per item). In addition to this, I have written 24 end of semester reports (around 250 words each) for my year 11 class. I challenge ANYBODY to accuse this teacher of having an easy existence. This I have done while also spending time with my two small sons (not much time I might add) who are on holidays from school also, and my partner (if you consider ‘sleeping’ the same as spending ‘time with’!) 'Well, it’s over,' you might breathe with a sigh of relief. 'Have a break.' I certainly will, after I’ve finished doing a little bit of planning, and preparation, and reading, and faculty coordination, and …..roll on Christmas.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home