Real Writing (again)
New class, same problem. I have been struggling again with teaching the idea of ‘real’ writing to my senior English class. “Who is your intended audience?” I ask them at the end of a 10 minute spiel about imagining that in the real world (the world beyond the classroom that is), that writing still occurs. I give them many examples of real writing. I am inspiring. But it seems much more difficult a concept for them to grasp than saying that elephants don’t only live in the zoo! “Who is your intended audience?” I repeat. They look at me filled with new knowledge and understanding (or so I think) and confidently answer: “You are.” And I realise, with an ugly jolt, that I’ve wasted another 20 minutes of a crucial English lesson. Add that to the hours I spent with some of the same students last year, and it totals up to a much bigger failure.
But the failure is not complete.
For her writing folio, one student wrote a personal piece about the death of her mother ten years ago, and how she is still coming to terms with it. Her structure was interesting, and some of the reflections were genuine, but the piece still fell flat; there was no sense of purpose or audience.
After school that day, I introduced this student to blogging. We set up a blog, I shared some blog knowledge that I had, and asked her to rewrite her piece in this new public forum. She suddenly realised what it meant to have a purpose and audience.
We managed to make a personal connection held together by the interest we have in writing, and have been corresponding by email since. She has been forced to start a new, second blog, having forgotten her original username (as I do regularly), and is annoyed because she lost three posts. But she’s writing. And she’s doing it for someone other than me. And she’s loving it. And I have made a difference.
Now for the rest……
New class, same problem. I have been struggling again with teaching the idea of ‘real’ writing to my senior English class. “Who is your intended audience?” I ask them at the end of a 10 minute spiel about imagining that in the real world (the world beyond the classroom that is), that writing still occurs. I give them many examples of real writing. I am inspiring. But it seems much more difficult a concept for them to grasp than saying that elephants don’t only live in the zoo! “Who is your intended audience?” I repeat. They look at me filled with new knowledge and understanding (or so I think) and confidently answer: “You are.” And I realise, with an ugly jolt, that I’ve wasted another 20 minutes of a crucial English lesson. Add that to the hours I spent with some of the same students last year, and it totals up to a much bigger failure.
But the failure is not complete.
For her writing folio, one student wrote a personal piece about the death of her mother ten years ago, and how she is still coming to terms with it. Her structure was interesting, and some of the reflections were genuine, but the piece still fell flat; there was no sense of purpose or audience.
After school that day, I introduced this student to blogging. We set up a blog, I shared some blog knowledge that I had, and asked her to rewrite her piece in this new public forum. She suddenly realised what it meant to have a purpose and audience.
We managed to make a personal connection held together by the interest we have in writing, and have been corresponding by email since. She has been forced to start a new, second blog, having forgotten her original username (as I do regularly), and is annoyed because she lost three posts. But she’s writing. And she’s doing it for someone other than me. And she’s loving it. And I have made a difference.
Now for the rest……

3 Comments:
At 9:46 pm,
Scott said…
If I was trying to be provocative I would say that after we spend 20 minutes (a couple of times a week for a couple of years) talking about audience and then students still say that we are their audience - perhaps they're teaching us more about the VCE curriculum and teacher-student relationships than we understand ourselves. They seem to understand that despite all our lectures to the contrary we are still their audience and markers and critics etc.
How strange it is then to actually have a student DO something about audience (as opposed to us TELL them about it) and by DOING, then learning!
These kids are teaching us.
At 3:02 am,
James said…
Hi Teacher, Teacher!
I'm currently researching why people blog about their work - either openly or anonymously, and would like you to complete a quick questionnaire on this subject.
It can be found at:
http://www.my3q.com/home2/62/apr2112/24991.phtml
If you visit my blog you will see some of research findings so far. I have also got links to over 150 work-related blogs on my site and currently you are one of them.
Please let me know if you object to this in anyway.
Thanks for your time and I look forward any response.
James
At 9:31 am,
Susan Taylor Brown said…
You're probably on break and I don't know if you'll see this for some time but I wanted to say hurrah for reaching a student the way you did with a blog.
Write on, right now.
Susan
Post a Comment
<< Home