What's wrong with a challenge?
It's starting to get to me. This idea that school is merely a preparation for the workforce. The only way that you learn is if you're 'engaged'. That if a kid doesn't want to do something, he/she shouldn't have to. What's happened to the thinking that perhaps some things we don't actually like might be necessary? I really loathe cleaning my teeth but I do it at least twice a day. It's good for me. I also detest reading the newspaper. Not a day goes by when there isn't something despicable in it that moves me to tears: hundreds of hippos dying of thirst, children killed, people wiped out, animals tortured, or a mix'n'match of any of these things. But I read two major newspapers a day. It's necessary. It's not about me. It's about my responsibilities. The recent generation (click and go?) is all about itself. Some would argue that this is how it's always been. Maybe. Maybe not. I think that if we look beyond our shores, the situation is not the same everywhere else, and Australia will suffer in the end.
It's starting to get to me. This idea that school is merely a preparation for the workforce. The only way that you learn is if you're 'engaged'. That if a kid doesn't want to do something, he/she shouldn't have to. What's happened to the thinking that perhaps some things we don't actually like might be necessary? I really loathe cleaning my teeth but I do it at least twice a day. It's good for me. I also detest reading the newspaper. Not a day goes by when there isn't something despicable in it that moves me to tears: hundreds of hippos dying of thirst, children killed, people wiped out, animals tortured, or a mix'n'match of any of these things. But I read two major newspapers a day. It's necessary. It's not about me. It's about my responsibilities. The recent generation (click and go?) is all about itself. Some would argue that this is how it's always been. Maybe. Maybe not. I think that if we look beyond our shores, the situation is not the same everywhere else, and Australia will suffer in the end.

1 Comments:
At 10:43 am,
Nat said…
Your blog has been good to read. Hope you don't mind if I link it to my own?
Post a Comment
<< Home