Ch...ch...ch...changes
I finally managed to thoroughly read, and not-so-thorougly comment on the controversial draft study design for VCE English /ESL today - not too bad for me considering it is due in tomorrow! (But then I haven't done my budgets yet, and they were due in at the end of last term! Sometimes you just have to prioritise.)
I thought it was interesting, and frightening, that while this document purports to provide a broader and more relevant curriculum, that it seemed to me (and I'm probably missing something really important here), that it is going to be increasingly difficult for the students that I teach to meet the learning outcomes for English.
As with most things that I have to read and evaluate in my position, I needed to speak to other teachers about this. So I broached the topic I was most concerned about - the contexts for creating and presenting - at lunch in the English staffroom. One teacher thought he 'might have heard about it' somewhere. Perhaps in the photocopy of the draft study design that I had placed in everyone's pigeonholes before the holidays so that we could formulate a KLA response? No, he didn't think so. What did it look like again?
Of the 13 English teachers at my school, only one managed to read and provide feedback on the document which will in the 'not-too-distant-future' (don't we all love that quote?) drive the way we teach secondary English from 2007. Enough said.
I finally managed to thoroughly read, and not-so-thorougly comment on the controversial draft study design for VCE English /ESL today - not too bad for me considering it is due in tomorrow! (But then I haven't done my budgets yet, and they were due in at the end of last term! Sometimes you just have to prioritise.)
I thought it was interesting, and frightening, that while this document purports to provide a broader and more relevant curriculum, that it seemed to me (and I'm probably missing something really important here), that it is going to be increasingly difficult for the students that I teach to meet the learning outcomes for English.
As with most things that I have to read and evaluate in my position, I needed to speak to other teachers about this. So I broached the topic I was most concerned about - the contexts for creating and presenting - at lunch in the English staffroom. One teacher thought he 'might have heard about it' somewhere. Perhaps in the photocopy of the draft study design that I had placed in everyone's pigeonholes before the holidays so that we could formulate a KLA response? No, he didn't think so. What did it look like again?
Of the 13 English teachers at my school, only one managed to read and provide feedback on the document which will in the 'not-too-distant-future' (don't we all love that quote?) drive the way we teach secondary English from 2007. Enough said.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home